Saturday, October 04, 2008

A year in My Garden 10 - AAAAHHHHHH

"It's just all so damned Frustrating"


The weather's done it worst again for us ... Rain all weekend and cold with it. I just can't get the break to complete these raised borders ... Just so frustrating ...


 


Mind you the seeds we've planted in the raised borders we have are coming up albeit slowly... Great excitement at the beginning of the week as our first runner bean pushed its way out of the dirt ... A very slow germination period due to the cold spring so far ... I did start to think they may just rot in the ground instead ..


Not that there hasn't been good days . Just few and far between and not on weekends .... We've sown a range of tomatoes and pumpkins and cucumbers etc which are in bio-degradable pots or in seed trays all lined up on a plastic covered table top in the yellow room ... Tomatoes are coming up out of the dirt now. another few days and they will need transplanting..I've grown too many of each variety, not having too much faith in other veggie growers seed saving techniques(heirloom seeds bought over Trade Me an equivalent and local type of Ebay).. But so far they are growing in great abundance.. I will 1/4 the seed number next time ... I've a large number of tomato varieties as well ..All heirloom. We will try them out this year and narrow the numbers to the ones we prefer for subsequent years ...


Today we went out in between the rain showers ..Destination - food ..But as soon as we got downstairs and I went to get into the car we found the car door left open !!!  It was me !! I'm starting to lose the plot ...Getting more and more forgetful ... Struggling to remember bnames of things and plants etc ... McD now in understandable impatience tries to complete my sentences which then just makes things worse as I lose the thread completely ....


It's the start of the end I tell you ..... 


 


Then McD wanted to stop off at the local hardware store on the way back to get some oil as we've a toilet door that SQUEAKS in the night ... anyway aprt from not finding anything like that (!) we got to the couter with two black current bushes and some metal tags to nails polyurothane (sp) to the wooden frames (we'd bought some treated lumber by mistake (stupidity) and want to keep wood from soil ..(As you would) .. Anyway the counter woman then announced to McD that they had no code on them and she would have to go back (to the far corner) of the harware hanger to get it .>@#$


 


"they are called xxxxx" says McD ..."thats no good to me" says to counter woman ... Forget it then says McD... Well then we walk out and we're grumbling about the service (not our fault it wasn't labeled nor was there anything to tell us to write down the code (or anything to write the code down with) ... .So McD rings the place up when driving home and complains ...The Customer services woman argues back to McD trying to justify the service we got ..."Can you or can you not search on the name on your database?"   "yes we can" Could you have not done that if required or had someone go and find it on our behalf?"  "yes that would be the practice" "So you are arguing about what?" 


 


Both McD and I work in a customer services environment ..We expect the same level of service when we are out in the wilds ... For this woman to argue that the level of service we got should be considered the "norm" is unbelievable.. We have a choice and will chose not to go there next time ........... 


We did however get some of the garden flowers before the wether beat them to nothing.... Not the peony flower... One of only two flowers from the Tree peony we have in a wine barrel ... The first lasted a day outside ..This one perhaps 2 days inside... And thats it for 12 soddin months ....and has been for the past 4 or 5 years !!!! .. SO - out goes peony (it can have a spot in the garden ...And in goes my fig tree ...I love fresh figs ......  



 


And so on it goes .... and now it's sunday night and we've been stuck in the house for 2 days and none of the outside work has been done ....... 



Except McD woke up this morning and cleaned up my computer room ....I don't have to fight to get to the PC any more AND I have my armchair back !!!


 


Thanks McD :O)


 




5 comments:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

When in California last year I had my first taste of fresh figs, the purple variety. Then a couple of months ago I was speaking to a woman here on the island and the subject of figs came up.I told her how much I liked the fresh purple ones and she astounded me by saying she has TWO fig trees on her property. I didn't know they grew here. Anyhow, I went to her place and found she has the purple kind and also the large figs with green skin. I bit into a green fig and thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was so sweet and juicy so I now intend on growing a tree for myself.

Kay Cooke said...

Love the flowers! Oh I do like to hear about McD in fighting mode!!! :)

Hazel said...

Hi Dinzie & McD - your flowers are gorgeous - what vivid colours! Seems funny from over here to be looking at fresh tulips from the garden!

Oh - and do grow figs if you have the climate as they are so fab fresh. It's a tad cold here for me to grow them, but then again I did have grapes on the vine this year, so maybe...

Hope Cola's feeling comfortable, at least - they are such a worry, but we wouldn't be without them, eh? xx

Bri and Plum said...

Hi McD
We're glad to see mthat Cola is feeling a little better. Look after her good

Jan said...

This must be Oh So Different for you from NW England??
What do you miss about England AND what is BEST about NZ???