Friday, October 24, 2008

Wet wet wet ..So Pictures of Tai Po Villiage HK

The ride down hill from the Buddha on Lantau to the small seaside villiage of Tai Po was pretty hair raising .. We'd been waiting over 40 minutes for the ramshackle local bus to arrive ... 40 degree 100F heat...


A nice experience was the public toilets there .(No really).. Surrounded by concrete the heat was like an oven but outside the mens door sat a smiling old chinese man. I removed my sunglasses and pushed back my hat and nodded to him as I passed smiling back. He beamed and nodded back and I made a fanning motion with my hand to say how hot it was and he nodded again and looked up to the skies both hand held out as though to catch it .... 


 


I carried on into  the toilet .. They were immaculate ..(McD will be happy I thought  absent mindedly)...As I washed my hands I spied a picture at the end at the basins on a pillar as you walked out ...It was the old man and his family I can only assume it was his wife and children.. The old man beaming alongside a smiling wife and 5 0r 6 kids from mid teans to mid 20s .. The older kids were dressed in suits etc ..The younger ones in what us oldun's would call sunday best .. 


 


I spent a small time looking at the picture. The older kids looked like they had good 'city' jobs.  


I don't know the full story ...I can imagine it. The old man passing his future into his children, their education their betterment. Excelling an taking pride in his work the way few of us do. I walked out intending to try and see if I could get more information on him and the picture but he'd moved onto doing his work again..... 


 


And then the bus ride down a very steep mountain on a winding road... Thrown from side to side .. Half way down we braked sharply on a corner ... Another bus coming the other way ....and then finally Tai Po Villiage and yet more heat ... 


 


     


 



 


 



 


 



 


 



        


 



 


 



 


 



 


 



 


 



 


 



 


 



 


 


 


 



 


 


 



 


 


 



 


 


 



 


 



2 comments:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Great pictures as usual. I love to see all the interesting foods in the markets.

Kay Cooke said...

Such great photos must bring it all back again - which is the whole point I'd imagine