Saturday, April 11, 2009

Gardening Horizontally !!

 


Being happily told by M-in-L that this sciatica may never go away – Oh great ........

 

No easing on the pain at all...Can sit for a time but can’t walk more that a dozen paces without extreme pain in the butt...The right butt to be precise .....

 

Funnily enough the most comfortable place for me is the front passenger seat of the car!! Which has been good as I’ve made poor McD take me out for drives around the place to alleviate the boredom ...But I want to do much more ....It’s driving me nuts.....Last night was bad ..I’d pushed it too far in trying to walk and do things ....The ache kept me awake for hours until I finally tried some old meditation techniques I used to practice in my youth ... for what ever reason I then fell asleep for a few hours anyway.........

 

This morning I hit the heavier drugs again.... Pain too much....

 

Really pleased I’m off next week ....But the thought of work looming is starting to worry me a lot ....But will go to the Chiro and the Physio next week and see what they can do...

 

I hobbled up the pathway this afternoon to the veggie garden. Its all so over grown. The grass etc is getting too much and we just have to get it sorted. McD harvested the last of the tomatoes, green and red (and yellow :O) And then we pulled out the vines emptying the border...The sun is about to disappear from this are soon as it dips behind the hill. It’s a shame but that’s  the land we have ...I may seed it with broad beans or peas as a manure crop in readiness for spring.

 

While McD worked on   the tomato border I sat and lay down on some loose weed matting and clipped the strawberry plants and dug up the runners saving the strongest to add another 8 squares of strawbs at the end of the raised border mcd was working on. Gardening on my side lying down being a whole new experience....but at least we did some.

 

The rewards are there as well though as we piked the last of the beetroot and pulled a few carrots that are quite large now considering they only have 8 inches to go down before they hit the hard clay ...(Where they either do a right turn producing an L shaped carrot or they start to twist and push themselves out of the soil.) With the tomatoes and already picked garlic and onion McD copped it all up and made a chicken casserole ...Delicious.   We had it with fresh baked bread rolls...

 

As part of our trying to eat more healthfully McD has been on a marathon run of cooking meals everynight.......Personally - I’m loving it ....   :O)

 












 









3 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

At least your camera finger hasn't been affected. I do hope the sciatica isn't forever (I'm sure it's not). Begone M in L's curse! Bring on the blessings of a fruitful autumn and pain-free days to enjoy.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

What about the pumpkin?

Hope your sciatica will be better with the chiro.

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

sure hope the sciatica isn't going to be an ongoing thing for you.I will keep thinking positive thoughts for you. Great photos as usual. I am looking forward to harvesting many veggies from my garden this year.