Thursday, July 17, 2008

Odd Sods

Has anyone grown or know of a tomato known as Cherokee Purple ??



Whats happened is that in rummaging through cupboards in the laundry (That leads out into the garden) I came across 3 packets of seeds .....Another 3 packets to my collection !!!  We are going to be so overloaded with tomatoes this year :O\  All the more sauces and chutney for us I say :O)  Any good recipes to share ??


Anyway - one of the packets is called Cherokee Purple and is sposed to have originated from that Native American tribe (is that the right word).... They sounds damned nice so will be trying them but just wondered about the advertising blurb ... as you do .... 


 


Of course there must be a hundred plus varieties of tomatoes ... What are everyones favourites ???


 



I've been off sick ....A cold of some sorts but it never really came to anything in the end .. .But my face feels like someones poured cement into my nose and sinuses (do we still have them as grown ups ?)  so my face aches in the mornings and I'm waking up headachy and miserable. I'm also aching especially around my lower back and kidneys  .... And then I've slept...and slept and slept .... 


And Boy am I bored ... I'm fine when I'm well enough to do things ... God knows I have a heap of stuff to get into .. but when I can't even see the writinging on the Monitor properly through Stinginging blurry eyes boredom sets in very quickly ... 


Whinge - Whine - Whinge - Whine ......


A recent A4 envelope from my sister has caused me some interest in my family history tracking again ...It's full of trees and writeups and certificates of the family on my mothers side .... We will never sort it out for my grandmother ...all too messy I think .... I aslo got a letter from a cousin in Portsmouth England which contained some marriage & death certificates on my Mums side .... The strange thing about that one was that there was no letter within it ...Nothing no name etc .... Now we had emailed briefly as to what I was doing etc ... and as we'd not been in touch for some 25-30 years I would have expected something ... Oh Well.....there's nowt as strange as folk........



Back to Grandmother ..... Her Birth Certificate staes her name as Nellie Eason Hodges..Sounds fine we'd originally assumed that the middle name of Eason wasn't hyphenated or anything but was a true middle name .... Death Cert stated her Maiden name was Hodges  ... But then we obtained her marriage certificate (2nd husband). Within that she has listed her father as a Charles Eason ...... !!!!!!  Why ?? Funnily enough I just re-read the certificate and a witness to the marriage was a L. Eason ...... And so on ... then you spend a few weeks scanning through censuses and the like and can't find any firm reference to any of them ........... That she was born out of wedlock is the obvious but then to have the name of her (potentialy) Real father as her middle name seems odd somehow ...... 


She had a rough life my Grandmother .... seems that things weren't quite the best from the start .... She lost her first husband to WW1. He was killed in action. Only 28 years old...... Her second husband was also in the military. The marines... A violent and evil man by all accounts... My Mother cursed him till she died.  I have fond memories of my grandmother, though I saw her only perhaps twice . One memory was of her using a pin to finish off a Players cigarette ...So she could smoke it to the very end. Way past what her fingers could handle .... This was in the street of the terrace house where she lived ... There was another woman there but I don't know who she was ..... The second time was to visit her with my Mum. She was in hospital ... She doted on my sister and I, but as a child of around 8 or 9 I was too shy and uncomfortable when my mum had me sit on the bed beside her .... My memories will always be of the happy old lady we visited ..... Her heartache and misery over the years I can only imagine... 


I wonder If I will  ever find out who my real great grandparents were on this branch of the tree......


 


  


 

2 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

Photos of domestic bliss, plus a sunset and a rose - to cheer up a gloomy winter's day.
Hope you feel better soon and that the mystery of your grandmother can be solved - or maybe these things are never solved ... (And I don't mean to sound hopeless and pathetic, just in case lil sis wants to hop in here and tell me to stop being morbid.) :)

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

It is always interesting and facinating to look into our family background. You never know what you are liable to unearth.
My new vege garden is finally producing, what a treat to pick fresh veges every day for dinner. I already have plans to improve the yield and different veges to plant for next season.
your garden sure is coming along and will be a credit for all your hard work.